Thursday 21 November 2013

Dear Santa - Christmas at ABNH week 3

Phew!  Christmas is really creeping up - only 5 weeks to go!

Week 3 of A Blog Named Hero's Christmas event is all about decor.  I don't really make papercrafted decor items for around the house, except for at Christmastime!  I decided to go all out and make something I've never tried before - a Kusudama ball.

Kusudama flowers are origami flowers made by folding a square of paper for each petal.  You can stop at 5 petals to make 1 flower, but the ball that I made has 12 flowers in it - that's 60 petals!  That's a lot of folding!

I started out by using patterned paper from Lawn Fawn and American Crafts - Amy Tangerine.  However, after making a few flowers this way, I decided to use thinner paper, as the thicker paper was a little too hard to fold the muliple times necessary for each petal.  I then moved on to normal printer paper, but I stamped on the edges to make it more pretty!! I used Hero Arts, CAS-ual Fridays, Neat and Tangled, Avery Elle and Simon Says Stamp stamps on the petals.



 The petals all start out as a square of paper:


They get folded into petals, then 5 petals are glued together:
(you can find a photo tutorial on folding the petals HERE)


12 flowers all folded and ready to assemble - I was a bit worried about glueing them all together, but that bit turned out to be really easy!









7 comments:

  1. OMGorgeous! Your Kusudama ball is stunning - and at 12 flowers, absolutely full-on a labour of love! Thanks for sharing this; and the tutorial = added bonus!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, these are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the ball. It is really stunning. I can't wait to make them. Thanks for the advice on the paper weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty and so creative! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Kusudama flowers, you made a great hanging decoration out of them :) I just want to ask you..is there a "technique" that you use to keep a big space in between of the petals? The ones that i make barely have a small hole in the middle when i assemble all the petals together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love kusudama flowers!! And you made a really great hanging decoration out of them!! I just wanted to ask you if there's a specific "techinque" that you use to keep a hole in between of the petals. When i assemble the petals there's just a very small space left in the middle (like in the tutorial you added) and the ones you made have a bigger space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that the flowers that were from patterned paper (ie thicker paper) ended up with a bigger hole than the ones from computer paper. I suspect that is because they were more difficult to fold, and so the folds were not as sharp.

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments - they always make my day!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) in the EU, please note that in commenting you do so with the knowledge that your name and comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose, only. I do not collect information stored on my blog. If you have left a comment and prefer that it not be seen, please delete it. Followers: If you follow my blog (thank you!) you do so in the knowledge that my followers list is open to anyone who visits my blog. Your photo, name and links will appear and can be seen by anyone. If you don't want this data shared, please remove your name from my followers list.